Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Fractured Left Ankle = Brief Stop to My Independent Life

Week 1 - The Beginning of a Painful Journey Ahead
It was the 4th Dec 09; I was in the Sydney office for the month end work; While walking from Hilton Sydney to the office, I slipped and fell while crossing the lights - corner of George and Hunter Streets.Thinking that it was just a sprain, I hobbled along, towing my luggage and handbag; Unfortunately, the pain became unbearable and my manager decided that we stop at a cafe to get some ice to soothe the pain while he got some painkillers and bandage from the nearest pharmacy. We continued our journey by taxi to the office. Worked the day..while having my left leg elevated and ice pack applied plus anti-inflammatory gel...I could feel some pain through the joints..but being the strong girl I am, I persevered and flew all the way back to Melbourne on the 5PM flight (thanks to 6 Nurofen tablets!!) The Qantas flight attendants were helpful, asking me whether I needed anything e.g. water, food etc and they got a people mover to transport me from the departure gate to the baggage carousel.

Once I reached Melbourne, the drama began to unfold. Just was waiting for me at the baggage carousel.After collecting my luggage, we got a wheelchair to transport me to the car. At this stage, the pain was just excruciating and I was practically in tears(yeah, cry baby :=)). Upon arrival at home, Cindy went like "Oh, we better get you to Royal Melbourne for an X-ray. See whether there is any fracture" Okie - since the future doctor said that, we better go straight away. Ended up in Royal Melbourne - Emergency Dept ; Wasn't too bad at first glance..Got my X-rays done in about 20 mins after triage nurse attended to me..But, my lower body was really punished for the night as the staff wanted me to sit on a plank on top of the wheelchair - had to elevate my left foot..Waited for about 2.5 hours before I got into one of the bays..They took my blood sample (not sure why they needed this - part of the whole admission procedure I guess)..By this time, I was feeling really weak and feeble - only managed to eat a McDonalds apple pie - didn't have any appetite to munch on the Chicken Deluxe burger which Just bought.

At about 1.30AM the next day, after being innundated with wails and cries from druggies demanding pethidine injections and sights of other bloody and concussed patients, I finally got attended to by a registrar; It was the news I dreaded to hear - the diagnosis was finally out - it was a simple fracture - my ankle joints were disclocated and one of the options presented was to undergo surgery...Man, I have never been so afraid in my whole life...Surgery???!!! What about my daily activity of walking in my heels (not very high ones, albeit they make me feel much sexier!)What about the scars that are going to remind me for a lifetime to come? As I held on to Just and Cindy, while tears started welling in my eyes, I knew that surgery was an inevitable option...I had to do this, I have a life to live; I needed to go for my long-awaited honeymoon trip; Anyway, they sent me back home that night on forearm crutches and a box of Panadeine Forte to relieve the pain, plus a backslap - which made sleep almost non-existent for that night.

The next morning, we went to Epworth Hospital in Richmond; Attended the Emergency Dept - was attended and discharged within 1.5 hours in total; Now I know why Private Health Insurance exists; It makes a huge difference - you get what you pay for. Was referred to an orthopaedic surgeon and appointment made for Monday..Plus side, they got me a pair of underarm crutches(which is the correct type for non-weight bearing patients).It was a very long weekend.


Monday morning came along and we were at the orthopaedic's clinic; He gave me a long lecture about the pros and cons of surgery - Pros - to prevent ostheoarthritis when I am older (I understand how painful this can be - as Grandma underwent surgery for her knee a few years back); Cons - Had to go through GA and of course the dreaded surgery.

Anyway, they changed the cast - gave me a fibreglass - lightweight cast which tremendously helped with my movements. Surgery was scheduled for the coming Monday as my swelling was quite bad;

In the meantime, I had a whole week off work - staying at home, foot elevated on a pink bean bag; Food served by Just or Cindy and just waited for day of the surgery to arrive...Technically, house-bound; Independence = 0. So much for spending my first wedding anniversary at home - so much for work Xmas party. Very limited social interaction - thank God for Jen and Evie's visit and the lovely cupcakes.



Week 2 - The Surgery - 14 Dec 2009
I consider myself quite fortunate that I got an operating slot about a week after my initial appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon - some public patients have to wait for many months to get operated on .Fasted from 10AM onwards (no food, no water!); Admitted at about 3PM - got a nice bouquet of flowers from colleagues - it was from FlowerTemple - my favourite florist!


Waited patiently for the surgery - I think it was about 10PM that I finally got into the operating theatre waiting bay..All this waiting made me really anxious, scared..It made me very emotional and hungry - as I had been fasting for almost 12 hours straight. After the prep talk given by the surgeon, I felt a bit better; They were gonna insert 6 screws and a metal plate into my foot; I am gonna be off work for at least 4 weeks.


From this moment on, I didn't really recall much which happened - just that I was wheeled into the operating theatre and they gave me GA and I fell asleep after 3 breaths..Was conscious 1.5 hours later ; According to the surgeon, it was a successful procedure; spoke to Just and Cindy; Brief words with Mum and Dad via mobile - after that was pushed to the ward (4 person room). It was a long night..My left foot was soaked in pink solution (some antibacterial stuff) and I had to swallow more painkillers - this time, it was Panadeine Forte, Celebrex and Endon (powerful stuff which has morpheine in it - which I found out that I am allergic to initially) and some antibiotics - initially through IV; Requested for some anti-histamines and had something to eat (some specially made sandwiches - by this hour - I could have eaten anything). I barely slept that night. The other patients around me were very noisy! One of the purred like a cat; The other patient opposite me snored like a truck; The other one talked in her sleep; I missed my bed and pillows at home!

Next morning was a whole new experience for me; Woke up for brekky, more painkillers and anti-blood clot injections and then had a shower -Not the easiest task to do when you have a plastic bag wrapped over the left foot and trying to stand with one leg. Luckily, Just and Cindy came around, Was transferred to a single bed room; Much more peace and quiet here.

They serve lotsa stuff for lunch here at Epworth - soup,main course and dessert, plus coffee or tea; Before you even finish eating lunch, afternoon tea will served -it's usually coffee or tea with some bikkies. Also had some pre-dinner food - Just brought some char siu and roast duck noodles - yummy!! Justin's bestman and his wife visited that night and the flowers really cheered me up; I craved social interaction - please don't give me these cold white walls and the hospital smell. Couldn't wait to be discharged!!

Next morning, things turned a bit dramatic - I think I am underestimating here - Just would say "very" dramatic; My morning shower was cancelled, as I had a piercing, excruciating pain when I tried to leave the bed to head to the bathroom - There was just no way I could have stopped the pain, until the nurse gave me 2 Panadeine Forte, 1 Endon - even then I couldn't stop the pain; In the end, they decided that I had to be given a morpheine jab. That solved the problem! At this stage, I am starting to feel a bit like a druggie with all the jabs and medicine in my body..Discharged in the afternoon, minus the shower of course - Just and Cindy had to come in earlier than expected, after my dramatic show! Sometimes, I begin to question why did God put me through all this pain and suffering??

Week 3 - A Quiet X'mas Dinner

I am out of my cast and in an ankle brace...the first night sleeping with the brace was tormenting..I could barely sleep and was complaining all the time...Tried to tone down on painkillers..they make me "high" - not a good sign.

Cindy's off to QLD to do her elective placement for 7 weeks.
It was one of the quietest X'mas dinner I have every experienced; - Just cooked some mouth watering salmon with mango sauce with a side of asparagus and risotto marinara.Very delicious and tops for effort because he queued for a really long time to get the salmon from Woolworths. The next day, went to Vandy & Sonya's place for BBQ lunch...Really nice to hang around friends..makes the day go faster.
Evie and Chia visited on Sunday..more food and company! Pasta salad, trifle, cupcakes,pudding with brandy custard.

Week 4 - Physio Starts
Finally got out of the house - started physio; Chris the physio, also partner in charge started me on a whole routine of range of motion exercies.Lotsa bending and ankle manipulation; Also had ultrasound - supposed to stimulate the nerves ending and electrotherapy which helps with the pain management.Also, very excited as I went to Plume for my first yumcha - first after my ankle fracture and first for the new year; Let's eat up for a better new year ahead!

Week 5 - Back at work - for 2 days
Received a call from my manager; Year end accounts are due; So, he wanted me back at work - I wasn't entirely ready; But then, am feeling a bit bored at home already..Went back to work on Thursday and Friday; However, HR sent me home as I didn't have a capacity certificate from my physio/doc saying that I am fit for work...Have to follow the process as I am claiming workers' compensation;

Week 6 - At home and more physio
Went to see the physio on Tuesday, who gave me leave till Friday; Will be back at work on Monday; At least I can bend my toes a bit better now;

Week 7 - Ir never rains but it pours
Back at work; Shocking news though - on Tuesday, Just got diagnosed with DVT - apparently there is a clot detected up till his upper thigh. I am devasted - left office on Tuesday lunch time, straight away took a cab to the Epworth,where he got treated in ED; Subjected to the myriad of medical tests and screenings- admitted for 2 nights; It never rains but it pours buckets...

Week 8 - Visit from mum and dad
It's such a wonderful feeling to have mum and dad over; Jason starts Yr 11 and Calvin came over as well; Cindy flew back from Brissie..it's like a mini reunion without Sharon who's starting work in Singapore next week. Did lotsa eating and drinking and chatting...finally got to get out of the camboot..started walking without crutches!

Week 9 - Final Check Up
Yay! I am officially discharged by Mr Edwards..he is happy with my recovery..but still to go for physio sessions though..I kinda gain a piece of my independence back...a little bit more to go..so I can plan my own itinerary for my postponed Korea trip.

No comments: